Antioxidants are dietary constituents, including certain nutrients such as vitamin C, beta-carotene, and vitamin E. This antioxidant repairs and prevents the damages to our body cells. They are part of the body’s defence system, which plays a vital role in protecting against free radical damage. Ascorbic acid, carotenoids, Glutathione, Melatonin, Vitamin-A, C, E, and tocopherols are a few examples of Antioxidants.
The good sources of antioxidants include all food rich in Vitamin C, E, and Beta Carotene. Antioxidants are also abundantly found in vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, millets, whole grain wheat, brown rice, and in all green, red and yellow-coloured vegetables and fruits.
Listed below are few Health Benefits of Antioxidants.
- Antioxidants act as a body’s defence system and function by preventing neurodegenerative disorders.
- It promotes the growth of healthy cells by protecting the cells, cell structure and organelles against the premature, abnormal aging and oxidative damage.
- It plays a fundamental role in preventing cancer, cell death, tissue damage, and other diseases by slowing the aging process.
- Prevents heart-related disorders by supporting efficient metabolism, helping the body to lose fat more efficiently.
- They are also involved in destroying the free radicals as they damage the cellular levels of the body, which can result in cell death and tissue damage.
These natural substances are essential for healthy cells and can be found in many food sources.
According to the research, Antioxidants boost overall health by controlling the oxidative stress, facilitating nephron function and other physiological functions of cells, tissues, different organs, the digestive system, circulatory system, etc. Therefore, it is more effective to get antioxidants through diet, than by taking its supplements. Moreover, stay fit and enjoy eating a variety of fresh fruits and veggies and proteins daily.
Words About Free Radicals, Oxidative Stress, and Antioxidants
Free radicals are exceptionally precarious particles that are normally shaped when you practice and when your body changes over nourishment into vitality. Your body can likewise be presented to liberate radicals from an assortment of ecological sources, for example, tobacco smoke, air contamination, and daylight. Free radicals can cause “oxidative pressure,” a procedure that can trigger cell harm. Oxidative pressure is thought to assume a job in an assortment of sicknesses including malignancy, cardiovascular ailments, diabetes, Alzheimer’s infection, Parkinson’s illness, and eye ailments, for example, waterfalls and age-related macular degeneration.
Cancer prevention agent particles have been appeared to balance oxidative worry in lab tests (for instance, in cells or creature examines). In any case, there is banter about in the case of devouring a lot of cell reinforcements in enhancement structure really benefits wellbeing. There is likewise some worry that devouring cell reinforcement supplements in extreme portions might be unsafe.
These were some amazing health benefits of Antioxidants. Subscribe to BYJU’S YouTube Channel to watch interactive and engaging video lessons on the interesting biology topics.